Experiencing any sort of roof issue isn’t ideal. The roof on your home is something you probably often take for granted. It is simply there to do its job; that is, until it doesn’t work as it should anymore. When you have a roof issue, it can leave you scratching your head as to what could have possibly gone wrong to cause your roof to have problems. Nickerson Roofing is here to talk about what the most common causes of roof damage are.
What Causes the Most Roof Damage?
There are several things that could cause a roof to become damaged. Some of the are easier to avoid than others, but it’s good to understand what the causes are so that you can avoid them if at all possible.
– Old Roof Shingles: For most people who are experiencing roof problems, it’s because of the age of their roof. Even when you take the upmost care of your roof, a roof only lasts so long before it is time to repair or replace it. Asphalt shingles will usually last homeowners 20-25 years before they become brittle and need to be replaced.
– Roof Neglect: As a general rule, if you have repairs that need to be done with anything, neglecting those repairs will only make them worse. This is the same with your roof. If you notice that there are a couple shingles that could use some attention, it’s best to get up there and get them fixed before you are facing larger problems.
– Water & Ice Dams on Roof: While your roof is supposed to keep excess water off your home and away from your foundation, during the icy months that winter brings, ice dams can cause significant damage to your roof. Proper ventilation will often help you avoid this problem.
– Wind Roof Damage: Nothing will test your shingles like a good windstorm. Hopefully, you have chosen roofing materials that have a high tolerance to wind. Anytime you lose a shingle to wind, it needs to be replaced right away.
– Hail on Roof: In the North Lake Tahoe Basin area, fortunately we do not see many serious hailstorms throughout the year. Hail can cause significant damage to your roof and leave you with a roof that is need of replacement. For most people, they have homeowner’s insurance that covers hail damage and a roof replacement.
– Walking on the Roof: Sometimes you have to get up on the roof to get certain tasks accomplished. However, if you aren’t careful, many homeowners have damaged their roof when they have been on it, walking around. Wear soft, high-traction footwear to keep yourself, as well as your roof, safe.
Roof Repair, Replacement & More in Truckee, Mystic, Tahoe City, Kings Beach & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
If you have a roof that has sustained damage somehow, you can rely on the experts at Nickerson Roofing to come and inspect the damage. We will give you a clear picture of what needs to be done from repairs to replacement. It is our goal to ensure your roof is offering your home the protection it needs. Call us today!