Are you getting ready for a new roof for your home? If you are considering a metal roof for your home, it is important that you know what all the pros and cons of a metal roof are. While they are becoming more and more popular, you still need to know what you are buying before you make this big investment. Nickerson Roofing is here to share some of the biggest pros and cons that come with metal roofing.
Advantages of Metal Roofs
There is good reason why metal roofs are becoming an increasingly popular choice among homeowners. Following are some of the biggest benefits that come from metal roofs:
– Long Roof Life Expectancy: When your metal roof is installed properly, you can plan on it lasting 20-50 years. On top of this, they usually have a 30 year paint warranty as well.
– Roofing Material Weight: Metal roofing is considerably lighter weight than other types of roofing materials. You can count on it only weighing about 50-150 lbs per square foot while others are 750-900 lbs per square foot.
– Easy Roof Installation: The cost of labor to install metal roofing is much less than other roofs because it takes less time for installation.
– Fire Resistance: The metal roofing itself if fire proof. This doesn’t account for the materials beneath it though.
– Heat Conduction: The metal will actually reflect the heat from the sun during the day which can save you money during the summer on air conditioning costs.
– Minimal Roof Pitch: You can have metal roofs installed on a gently pitched roofs without experiencing any problems.
– Snow Shedding Roofs: Metal roofs do an excellent job of keeping snow of your roof because they absorb so much heat and are slippery. This will encourage snow melt.
Disadvantages of Metal Roofs
Just like anything else, where there are several cons to having a metal roof installed on your home, there are also a few drawbacks. Following are some of the cons you may see with a metal roof:
– High Roofing Cost: While the upfront cost is quite a bit higher than other roofing materials, because the roof lasts for so long, you will actually end up saving money in the long run. You just have to decide if you can give up the money upfront.
– Loud Roofing Noise: Rainfall can be quite a bit louder on a metal roof as opposed to other types of roofs.
– Roof Denting: If you experience an intense hailstorm, there could be some denting on your metal roof when it is done.
Roof Repairs, Replacement & More in Truckee, Mystic, Floriston, Olympic Valley, Alpine Meadows, Tahoe City, Dollar Point, Ridgewood, Carnelian Bay, Kings Beach, Eder, Norden, Soda Springs & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
If you are ready for a new roof, there is no one you can trust more than the roofing experts at Nickerson Roofing to help you get the job done right. We have the experience and expertise to handle any roofing issues you may have no matter what roofing material you have chosen. Our knowledgeable and friendly staff are ready to help answer all your questions. Call us today!