Roofs are one of the primary aspects to any building. Roofs offer protection from the full array of weather conditions, the elements, and the pests seeking to move in among other things. By keeping your roof in the best possible condition with care and regular maintenance, you can avoid the inconvenience and headaches of the exposure to the outdoors. Neglecting the smallest of leaks can end in undesirable results, from excessive damage to the integrity of the structure being compromised. Today, we at Nickerson’s Roofing would like to stress some points as to what could happen if you do not repair the leaks in your roof.
Consequences of a Leaky Roof
There are a number of reasons why your roof can be inflicted with leaks; lack of maintenance, severe wind or storm damage, poor installation, pest damage, natural deterioration from age, and intrusive tree limbs. More often than not, roofs can only be expected to last 20-30 years. With any kind of leaks, more problems can arise if neglected.
1. Mold and Mildew Interior Issues: Once mold is introduced in an area, it can quickly overcome and spread with favorable condition. Mold spores can develop with a leaky roof and other contributing factors, mold spores can then enter into the HVAC system and get attached in nooks and crannies. Since mold thrives in dark, moist, and warm areas, it can get easily overlooked. Mold deteriorates structure, induces varying degrees of allergy symptoms, and can make people ill with a variety of symptoms such as; nasal congestions, runny nose, irritated throats, and breathing difficulty particularly those that have weak respiratory symptoms, asthma issues, and allergies.
2. Ceiling & Attic Damage: The attic space whether it is useable space for storage or living and even unfinished attics with insulation, and other such paraphernalia can be exposed to water damage and other such damage. Water damage can have tremendous negative impact, especially if it is allowed to fester; the attic walls and floor deteriorate, mold outbreaks and it can make the structure completely broken down.
3. Excessive Utility Bills: When the water damage destroys your insulation, you will know it from abnormally high power bills. The insulation will not perform its function after long term damage, putting a strain on your HVAC system, causing excessive utility bills, wasted energy along, and poor performance.
4. Low Structural Integrity: if the roof leaks, the roof itself continues to break down, the damage continues to penetrate to the attic space, ceilings, and walls, if the damage continues on this path, the building’s structure becomes more and more compromised, leading to problems and the need for emergency repairs.
5. Safety Hazards: Slippery surfaces and deteriorating material can pose a safety risk with potential slips and falls, or materials falling from above.
6. Fire Hazards: Water and electricity do not coincide. If the water comes into contact with live electricity, whether it is wiring or outlets, the sparks will fly and can ignite a fire under the right conditions.
Emergency Roofing Repairs in Truckee, Mystic, Floriston, Olympic Valley, Alpine Meadows, Tahoe City, Dollar Point, Ridgewood, Carnelian Bay, Kings Beach, Eder, Norden, Soda Springs & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
In a nutshell, if you have a leaky roof, water dripping into your living space is more than just a nuisance. If you have leaks, contact Nickerson’s Roofing today and let our experts get your repairs done quickly and efficiently.