When you get a leak in your roof, it can be very annoying. When you notice signs that you may have a leak the first step to take is to try and find where the leak is coming from. You may notice discolored or damp walls and ceilings. Sometimes you may be able to take care of the problem on your own. Nickerson Roofing delve into common places that roofs leak to help you look out for them.
Where is the Leak in My Roof Coming From?
1. Around the chimney. The flashing around the chimney is usually the source of the leak. There is a fairly large gap between the chimney and the roof that the flashing covers. It can start to pull away from the brick over time or may begin to rust. This is pretty easy to see and you will be able to tell quickly if this is where your leak started.
2. Problem shingles. Shingles get old and can become damaged, especially after a big storm. When water gets under the shingles, it can seep into the underlayment and sheathing, which will in turn cause leaks into the house. Signs like loose granules, curling or buckling shingles, or obvious missing spots are indicators of leaks.
3. Gutters. If you haven’t cleaned your gutters in a while, they may be clogged or damaged and standing water can back up and cause leaks. The water can also freeze when it gets cold and cause problems. Cleaning your gutters is a good idea, even if you don’t suspect a leak.
4. Valleys. A valley is a line in your roof where two planes of your roof intersect. Sometimes it’s covered with flashing, rolled roofing or something else. Water can collect in these low spots, so any problem with covering will often allow water into the house.
5. Around ice dams. Ice dams can cause leaking even if your roof is in good shape. These are ridges of ice that form at the edge of roofs, catches melted snow and doesn’t allow it to run off like it should. When this ice melts and get backed-up, it can cause major leaks.
6. Vents, pipes, and other roof penetrations. Potential leaks are possible anytime there’s an object protruding above your roof. Check the flashing around these objects for rust or loose spots. Some penetrations are plumbing and roof vents, chimneys and dormers.
Roof Repair, Replacement & More in Truckee, Mystic, Tahoe City, Kings Beach & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
When you go through the most common areas for roof leaks and can’t find anything, but you’re sure there’s a leak somewhere, you should call in a professional. Waiting can make a leak worse and a fix much more complicated. Minor leaks can cause major damage like mold, rotted framing and sheathing, destroyed insulation and damaged ceilings. Sometimes determining the source of a roof leak can be a great challenge. The source of the leak on the outside of the home rarely matches where the leak appears on the inside of the home. This leads to much frustration for the homeowner trying to repair the leak. Save yourself this frustration and call Nickerson Roofing to locate and repair your roof leak.