The roof on your home is your home’s first line of defense agains the elements. You need to ensure your roof is completely healthy so that you don’t wind up with larger problems like foundation damage or water damage. What many homeowners don’t understand is these problems often stem from a roof that isn’t in good shape. There are many reasons that a roof can become damaged. Nickerson Roofing is here to talk about what the most common causes for roof damage look like.
What Causes Roofs to Deteriorate?
Following is a closer look at some of the most common causes of roof damage so that you can avoid them at all costs.
– Weather: This is somewhat out of your control, but it is the most common cause of roof damage. The weather that your roof has to be able to withstand is incredible. Severe weather might include hurricane force winds, hail, heavy rain, freezing temps and more. All of which, can cause significant damage to your roof. High winds can cause your shingles to get ripped completely off the roof. If you have freezing temperatures, it can cause the shingles to sustain damage as they expand and contract constantly. Also, hail can cause some significant damage as it literally beats on your roof.
– Age: The age of your roof is also going to play a large role in how well it will hold up too. As your roof gets older, the shingles will start to get more brittle. This leaves them far more susceptible to damage from things like weather. If your roof’s warranty has expired, you may find that roof replacement makes more sense than trying to limp along an old, damaged roof.
– Foot Traffic: It isn’t ever a good idea to get on top of your roof. It is actually a dangerous place to spend your time. Not only should you be concerned about danger, but you will also cause damage to your roof anytime you are walking on it. Only get on your roof if you absolutely have to for some reason.
– Installation Issues: The way that your roof is initially installed can have a large impact on how well it holds up too. If the roof isn’t installed properly, it will be filled with nothing but problems as time goes on. There are several issues like improper flashing, no underlayment and poor or no roof sealants. Any of these issues can bring with them serious damage to your roof.
– Lack of Maintenance: It is important that you maintain your roof just like any other part of your home. Make sure that any repairs needed are done in a timely manner to get the most out of your roof.
New Roof Installation & Re-roofing Replacement & More in Truckee, Mystic, Tahoe City, Kings Beach & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
If you are having trouble with your roof, you can turn to Nickerson Roofing to help you get it fixed. We will inspect your roof and let you know if it can be easily repaired, or whether or not replacement makes more sense. Call us today!