There are many people making the switch to solar when they see how much money they can save on their energy bills each month after making the switch. This often leaves homeowners wondering what is needed to have solar installed. Is it necessary to replace your existing roof before getting solar? This is a big question that is on the mind of many homeowners that are looking to go solar. Nickerson Roofing is here to talk about considerations you should make before going solar.
Is It Best to Replace Your Roof Before Going Solar?
When it comes to installing solar on your roof, there are some reasons that make it beneficial to put a new roof on your home first.
– Savings: You will see some significant savings on electricity when you make the move to solar. You can take those savings and put them into a new roof to help curb the cost. You will continue to see significant savings throughout the years as you continue with your use of solar and that can help lessen the blow of replacing your roof.
– Two Projects in One: When it comes to projects on your home, combining them into one can be helpful. When you’re having solar installed and have been thinking about a roof replacement, it only makes sense to combine these two projects into one large project. You can coordinate the timelines for completion and get it all taken care of at once.
– Long Lasting: When you have a new roof installed along with your solar panels, you will find that you can enjoy both of these projects for decades to come. A new roof can last you up to 30 years or more if you maintain it properly. It isn’t recommended to put new solar panels on a roof that has under 8 years left before replacement will be needed anyway.
– Avoid Reinstallation: If you have solar panels installed on a your roof that is already 15+ years old, you are going to more than likely have to take the solar panels off and have them reinstalled after your roof replacement is complete. This will only cost you more money in the long run.
– Combine Financing: If you have the roof replaced at the same time you have your solar installed, there may be a loan that would allow you to combine these two large investments together. That can be more helpful and cost effective than to have two separate loans for each project.
Roof Inspection, Replacement & More in Truckee, Mystic, Tahoe City, Kings Beach & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
If you’re thinking about having solar installed on your roof, call on Nickerson Roofing to come and inspect your roof first. We will help you decide whether or not your current roof is fine to handle the load that the solar panels are sure to put on it. If you need a roof replacement, we will be able to get it done for you. Call us today!