Unfortunately roof leaks are a common problem that many homeowners face, especially owners of older homes or houses exposed to varying degrees of weather. Roofing issues including a leaking roof have the potential to cost you your valuable time and possibly even thousands of dollars or more in repairs. Your roof is an investment and knowing some of the warning signs can mean the difference between a quick repair, a major remodel or even a complete roof replacement. One of the first indications that your roof may be leaking is discolored and damp walls and ceilings. The knowledgeable professionals at Nickerson Roofing are the experts when it comes to maintaining and repairing roofs in Truckee, California and the surrounding areas.
Common Sources of a Leaking Roof in the North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
• Roof Leaks Around the Chimney: If your roof is leaking around the chimney your flashing may have cracked. Flashing is a thin piece of metal that is installed under the shingles of your roof to create a water-resistant barrier. If the flashing is exposed you will be able to see the sheet metal instead of the rubberized top coating that seals the flashing to your roof. If your flashing is broken you will also see large cracks. Tar is often used to seal the flashing which can corrode over time leaving your roof exposed to the elements.
• Damaged Shingles: Shingles cover the exterior of your roof so it is easy to spot if they are damaged or missing. You will see patches on your roof and may even find some shingles scattered around your yard after a storm. Weather, including heavy rains and strong winds are usually the culprit.
• Valleys on your Roof are Improperly Sealed: The valley is the area where the two planes of your roof meet and come together. Because the area is sloped and the valleys are improperly sealed, water can penetrate before it runs down slant of the roof. Look for wet spots along the seams of your roof. The most common reason for a damaged seal? Excess rain that can cause the seal to erode over a period of time.
• Cracked Vent Booting: Your roof vents resemble small pipes that protrude out from the top of your roof. They are designed to expel moisture from the inside of the home. The roof vents are sealed by placing a tight rubber piece (boot) over the pipe. Over a period of time, the flashing may break or the roof can even begin to decay.
• Ice Dam Buildup: An ice dam is caused by a buildup of ice which forms along the edge of the roof. This ice buildup prevents melting snow from draining. The weight of the ice can damage the roof but damage can also occur when the water that is trapped is left sitting on the surface of the roof.
• Clogged Gutters: This may seem obvious if you can see debris such as leaves sticking out over the edge of the gutter but sometimes a clogged gutter can be much more subtle. If you notice a lack of water coming down the downspout during and after a rain shower it’s definitely worth checking into. Your gutters are designed to move water away from your roof but when a blockage occurs, the rainwater will sit in one area of the roof giving it an opportunity to seep through cracks and cause damage.
Roofing Inspections, Preventive Maintenance, Emergency Repairs, Installation & Replacement in Truckee, Mystic, Tahoe City, Kings Beach & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
Contact the experienced roofing professionals at Nickerson Roofing today for all your roofing needs.