When heavy storms roll in, many people talk about how thankful they are to have a roof over their head. A strong roof is important when a heavy rain storm rolls in. Unfortunately, if you have a faulty roof, this is when you become aware of it. There are several warning signs that can signal trouble before the rain storm hits. Nickerson Roofing would like to make your aware of the signs that are present when a roof needs to be either repaired or replaced.
Need to Fix Fix Small Holes & Other Roof Problems
When your roof is concerned, just being aware can save you a lot of grief in the long run. Giving your roof a visual check every now and then can help make you aware of small repairs that need to be made. By fixing these small issues along the way, you save yourself from needing to replace your roof prematurely.
Exterior Roof Inspection & Evaluation Checklist
At least twice a year you should be giving your roof a thorough inspection. When you are checking tasks off of your spring cleaning checklist, add the roof to that list. Another great time to give it a good once over, is during the fall season, before harsh weather starts to become an issue. Here are some warning signs that you should worry about:
– Condition of Shingles- If you find several shingles that are bald, missing, or curling, these are all signs of an aging roof.
– Sagging Roof Deck- If your roof deck looks as though it is sagging in any places, this is a sign of a major problem and should be addressed right away.
– Water Damage- Water damage is never a good sign. This can weaken your roof and cause rotting. This can also cause your roof to leak during future storms.
– Dark Spots and Streaks- This is a sign of an old roof and is esthetically unpleasing to the eye.
– Moss- If you live in a cool, place that receives a lot of moisture, moss growth can become a problem on your shingles. This moss keeps moisture close to your roof and then you have to worry about mold growth or fungus growth.
– Shingle Granules in Gutters- When you start to notice a bunch of the granules from your shingles in your gutters as you clean them out, this is a sign that your roof is getting old. When this starts to happen, it often means your shingles are toward the end of their life cycle.
– Loose Flashing- Check for any loose flashing around your chimney or other pipes that protrude off the top of your house. This is a sign of age.
Check Attic for Light Leaks
When doing a visual check, it is a good idea to go into the attic and check for any light leaks as well. This is a sure sign that you will have water leaking into your home the next time a heavy storm hits. This is also a good indication that your roof needs replaced.
Roof Repair, Replacement & More in Truckee, Mystic, Tahoe City, Kings Beach & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
Don’t wait until you are dealing with water damage in your home because your roof needed work. Simply giving your roof a little extra attention a couple times a year can save you unnecessary problems in the future. If you are concerned about your roof, Nickerson Roofing can inspect it further for you. Whether you need to repair or replace your roof, we can help. Call us today!