Roof repairs or replacement can be a strain on a home owner’s finances. Nickerson Roofing, over our years of experience has gathered the top ten causes of roof damages. We will talk about the various reasons and causes of roof damages and some remedies you can do to prevent expensive roof repairs or replacements.
Causes of Roof Damages & Leaks
1. Many repairs and or replacements are due to poor or faulty roof installation. Poor materials or poorly installed roofs will increase the likelihood of your roof becoming damaged. If you believe that your roof has been poorly built or cheap or poor materials were used, have your roof inspected.
2. Moisture exposure and leaks due to rain, snow, and ice getting under the roof tile causes molds and mildew damage. Repair leaks as soon as they are discovered to prevent future molds or mildews from taking root in the wood under the roofing tile.
3. Many times the flashing was improperly installed. Flashing is installed around ventilation pipes, skylights, and other penetrating objects on your roof. When the flashing was installed poorly or improperly, the flashing will develop seams, or gaps which later lead to tile falling off. This will cause leaks around the flashing area.
4. Pests can cause a great deal of damage to your roof. Pigeons, insects and even rats are a top offender for many damages. If you have any of the local outdoor critters calling your roof home, take steps to remove them.
5. Constant water exposed to your roof will lead to problems. One cause of this type of problem comes from drainage by your HVAC systems. If the drainage system was improperly installed, the water will follow onto your roof. Eventually the water will seep under your roof tile and cause water damage or wood rot.
6. High winds and hail can puncture and penetrate roofing materials. This can affect your roof’s flashing, and sealants. Again this causes leaks which will lead to structural damage and expensive repairs. After major storms it is wise to inspect your roof and keep an eye on future problems.
7. Trees and overhanging branches can break or fall on roofs. Old or weak trees most especially pose the threat of falling and crashing down on your roof. Some may result in just a few cracked tiles. Other times the whole roof is damaged and needs complete repair or replacement. If you are losing a tree due to age or weakness you may want to consider removing or cutting in back to prevent major damages to your roof.
8. Proper ventilation is so important. The roof and attic space works together to help keep the inside cool. There is a ventilation vent place in both high and low positions in your attic. The high vents blow the warm air out and low vents draw the cool air in. In creating a perfect cycle, this helps keep the attic cool. If there are ventilation issues, and heat and moisture builds up, expect to find mold and mildew infesting your attic. This will cause structural problems as well as health problems. Make sure to check the vents regularly to clear away any debris or dirt that may be clogging the vents.
9. Shrinkage of the roof membrane or the material under the roofing tile or shingles. This will most often lead to cracks in the top layer of those materials. Then blistering, splitting, and surface erosion of shingles will eventually lead to bigger problems resulting in expensive roof repairs.
10. Unfortunately one of the main leading causes of roof repair or replacement is due to the lack or maintenance. Most problems come slowly, or in small doses. It is better and more cost effective to complete the repairs as needed. Fix those tiny problems before they become a big one. It may seem unnecessary to schedule roof inspections if you don’t expect any problems. However professionals will know where and what to look for in combating future problems.
Roofing Services in Truckee, Mystic, Floriston, Olympic Valley, Alpine Meadows, Tahoe City, Dollar Point, Ridgewood, Carnelian Bay, Kings Beach, Eder, Norden, Soda Springs & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
We here at Nickerson Roofing want to help homeowners save money and be aware of the top common causes that lead to roof repair or replacements. If you need any assistance with any roof repair, or seek to replace your roof, Nickerson Roofing is here to help you.