Gutters have the very important task of diverting water away from your home to reduce water and moisture damage. This can save you from costly home damages. What happens if a home doesn’t have a gutter system? What happens when gutters get clogged? Just how important is a well-functioning gutter system to your home?
• Gutters prevent water damage
• Gutters prevent staining on masonry and brick
• Gutters preserve exterior doors and garage overhead doors
• Gutters prevent foundation problems
• Gutters can prevent flooding in basements and under homes
• Gutters can prevent erosion
• Gutters can preserve your landscaping and the soil around your home
Proper Gutter Installation
In order for gutters to do their job, they need to be installed correctly. The gutters need to be seamless and installed on every sloped edge. Gutters also need to be pitched correctly and free of holes and gaps. They also need to be fastened securely to the fascia board to work effectively. Gutters also have downspouts connected to them. These downspouts need to be pointed at least three feet away from the base of your home. If not, water can pool around the foundation of your home.
Leaking, Overflowing Gutters & Other Problems
The gutter system of your home will need to be inspected to continue working properly. What are some common gutter issues that can cause problems?
1. Improperly pitched gutters. Gutters that aren’t pitched toward the downspouts can allow water to flow away from your home. This can allow water to pool in your gutters.
2. Sagging gutters. The hardware that secures the gutters to the fascia can deteriorate and if they are incorrectly spaced, they can cause gutters to start sagging. Sagging gutters turn into damaged gutters.
3. Gutters with leaks and holes. Joints in gutters can start to leak. This will allow water to pool at the base of your home, causing serious damage to the foundation.
4. Clogged gutters. Gutters that become clogged with leaves and other debris can prevent water from being channeled away from the foundation of your home.
Homeowners must be on top of gutter maintenance to prevent clogs. When they are clogged with leaves and other debris, you’ve waited too long. You may have water leaking into your home slowly and you may not even know it. Drain outlets will dam up and rainwater will fill the gutters, overflow, and eventually pull the gutters loose. Cleaning gutters can be dangerous because you may be climbing ladders multiple times a year. The number of times you will have to do it depends on how directly your roof is beneath trees or if you live in an area with frequent storms. Only do it if you feel comfortable doing so. It is advisable to hire gutter-cleaning professionals if your roof is higher that a single story.
Gutter Replacement & Installation in Truckee, Mystic, Floriston, Olympic Valley, Alpine Meadows, Tahoe City, Dollar Point, Ridgewood, Carnelian Bay, Kings Beach, Eder, Norden, Soda Springs & The North Lake Tahoe Basin of California
Gutters are a crucial part of every home and a necessary investment, but they need to be maintained and in working order, otherwise they are useless. Contact Nickerson Roofing to determine if it’s time for a new gutter system. Nickerson Roofing recommend 18 gauge welded steel guttering to stand up to our extreme snow and weather conditions.